Riverside Road, Wormit

ref: wc3200

Riverside Road (north side), Wormit - Ref: WC3200

Wormit, Riverside Road (north side). Wormit was a hamlet until the Tay Rail bridge opened in 1878, then it became, like Newport, a dormitory for Dundee. Wormit claims it was the first village in Scotland to have electricity.

The houses in the picture are a fine example of Victorian architecture. The builder of most of its early houses, Alexander Stewart, had a windmill on Wormit Hill which was supplemented by a steam generator.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.