Mental Hospital, Westgreen
Mental Hospital, Westgreen - Ref: WC3197
Westgreen Mental hospital. The farm of West Green was acquired in 1874 and a new building for both pauper and private was erected in 1880. West Green was known as the Dundee District Asylum and latterly as Dundee Royal Liff Hospital.
The Dundee District Lunacy Board was concerned with the increased number of patients resulting from the rapid growth of the city and purchased the asylum property at West Green in 1903.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.