Church, St Vigeans
Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3139
St Vigean's church named after the Irish St. The church is of red-brown sandstone common in the district, it is an 1872 restoration of an ancient fabric reaching back in part before the 1242 consecration by Bishop David de Bernhamn of St Andrews.
The church remained the sole church of the parish until 1585 or thereby when an Arbroath parish was disjoined. The graveyard is also shown on this picture.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.