Church, St Vigeans
Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3138
St Vigean's church is the "mother" church of the entire parish and of Arbroath. Long before the church was buil, the hillock upon which it stands was used as a place of Christian burial.
Dedicated to St Vigean, Irish St who died 664. The church was rebuilt in the twelfth century but was not dedicated until 1242. The consecration was by Bishop David de Bernham of St Andrews.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.