Newport-on-Tay, Bay and Ferry Landing.

ref: wc3038

Newport-on-Tay, Bay and Ferry landing - Ref: WC3038

Newport-on-Tay, bay and ferry landing. In the early 1800s the ferry service to both Newport and Woodhaven were thriving. In 1816 92,000 passengers used the Newport crossing.

In 1821 the first steamship "the Union" was introduced . In 1823 work started on a new pier to design of Thomas Telford. The ferries were looked after by the Tay Ferries Trust.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.