Mains School, Dundee

ref: wc1809

Mains School, Dundee - Ref: WC1809


At first glance this photograph would just appear to show a winter scene, however, the roof of Mains Primary School can just be made out on the left. Situated in the Den o' Mains it was built in the 1890s.

The school was taken over by the then, Dundee Corporation in 1922. Despite being the smallest school in Dundee, and semi-rural, it enjoyed a brief revival in the 1950s when new housing built nearby meant an influx of pupils. However, new schools were also built and Mains School closed in the mid 1960s.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.