Carnoustie Church

ref: wc1808

Carnoustie Church - Ref: WC1808

Carnoustie is a coastal town situated about ten and a half miles from Dundee. Carnoustie Church was erected in 1837. Designed to seat 500, it very soon proved inadequate for the town.

As can be seen in the photograph, the solution was to built extensions to accommodate the expanding congregation. Eventually a proposal to built a new church was made. The new Carnoustie Church was opened in 1902.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.