St John's Old Church, Dundee

ref: wc1804

St John's Old Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1804

At the time of this photograph this building was no longer being used as a church having been purchased by the University College Dundee as part of the University's campus. The church was sited in Small's Wynd and had been the first Free Church built in Dundee in 1843. It closed as a church in 1884.

The original St John's had been part of the City Churches which were burned down in 1841. The congregation then split at the time of the Disruption and the established church congregation moved in to a former Gaelic church in South Tay Street. The Free congregation built a new church at Roseangle.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.