Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee

ref: wc1658

Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1658

On 25 September 1877, a passenger train containing the directors was photographed as it crossed the bridge to the cheers of some twenty thousand local spectators. Eight months later a train pulled by the engine "Lochee" crossed over and the bridge was officially opened.

As it entered the new Tay Bridge Station, a band played "See the Conquering Hero Comes." There was a procession through the city streets, which were draped in bunting and the bells of the Old Steeple tolling.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.