Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee

ref: wc1651

Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1651

The bridge, designed by Sir Thomas Bouch, was opened on 26 September 1877 with great ceremony. Passenger services began on 31 May 1878. The structure lasted little over a year.

On 28 December 1879, the 5.27 train left Burntisland for Dundee. Just after 7pm, at the height of a storm, the train reached the bridge and a few minutes later, the bridge collapsed. Approximately 75 passengers were on the train but only 46 bodies were found.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.