Gilfillan Memorial Church, Dundee

ref: wc1426

Gilfillan Memorial Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1426

The church was named after Rev.George Gilfillan who preached to his flock in School Wynd. He was a social reformer and was twice the subject of complaints to the Presbytery as well as being accused of heresy in 1870. He was the working peoples favourite and became known as "Oor George"

In the photograph there are tenements on one side of the church and what appears to be a factory/warehouse on the other side. There is a boy on a double wheeled bike in front of Moncur - Florist & Fruiterer.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.