City Churches, Dundee
City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1417
In this photograph the intricately carved stonework around the double doorway of the late 15th century Old Steeple can be seen. Technically, the building is not a steeple but a tower. Its correct name is St Mary's Tower, however, few Dundonians would recognise this formal name.
The notice board at side of entrance reads, Caretaker T.Waddell. Park Lane Dundee. "Open during months of May, June & July from 12 noon - 8 pm daily and other months fron 12 noon until sunset. Apply to caretaker in church grounds. Admission one penny.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.