City Churches, Dundee
City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1416
This is the west doorway to the Tower of St Mary Dundee (now St Clement's Church). Description of the architecture can be found in Guide Book to the Old Steeple of Dundee.
The entrance consists of two round arched doorways 8'11" high within a larger elliptical arch. The arch mouldings are foliage. The carving in the circular panel is of the Virgin and Child, below is a Shield with the Arms of the Diocese of Brechin.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.