City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1397

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1397

The entrance to St Paul's Church is shown. A fourth burgh church was needed due to the increase in population and in 1823 the Town Council purchased Mr Haldane's Tabernacle and it was called St David's Church and situated near the West Port.

This Church remained in existence until 1947 when part of the roof collapsed. St David's amalgamated with St Paul's and the church became knows as Old St Paul's and St Davids. This is now the Mary Slessor Centre.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.