City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1396

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1396

Up to 1560 seating was not provided in Churches. Worshipers were expected to stand. After the fire in 1560 desks were erected for Burgess's and their wives and some stools, chairs etc were provided. After the last fire in 1841 seating was provided when the building was rebuilt.

These seats were allocated to those entitled to use them. Some were claimed by Magistrates and the Town Council. The rest allocated on the grounds of having seats in the Old Church and by others having contributed to the cost of erecting this church.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.