City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1393

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1393

In this photograph of Dundee's City Churches the group of children appear to be appropriately dressed in their Sunday best. The City Churches were destroyed, in January,1841, by a catastrophic fire. The library within the church complex, containing over 1800 volumes, was also tragically lost.

Fortunately St Mary's Tower, more popularly known in Dundee as the Old Steeple, survived. The bricks of the steeple can be seen on the left in the photograph. The churches were rebuilt in the 1840s.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.