City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1392

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1392

Dundee's Old Steeple and City Churches can be seen in this photograph. There has been a church on this site since the 12th century. The first church, dedicated to St Mary, was destroyed in 1303 by Edward 1st. It was eventually rebuilt in the 15th century, at this time the Old Steeple was built.

Additional churches were added to the Church of St Mary until by the devastating fire of January, 1841 there were four churches under one roof. The churches were rebuilt. Fortunately, the Old Steeple survived this fire. It has been recently refurbished and has been reopened to the public.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.