City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1389

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1389

One of Dundee's best known landmarks, the Old Steeple dates back to the late 15th century. Its proper name is actually St Mary's Tower, however, very few Dundonians would recognise this name.

The steeple survived the catastrophic fire of January, 1841, which destroyed the adjacent City Churches. Today it is one of the highest surviving medieval church towers in Scotland.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.