City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1388

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1388

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The original one was destroyed by Edward 1st. Eventually rebuilt in the 15th century additional churches were added until by 1841 there were four separate churches under one roof.

This attracted the attention of satirist, Thomas Hood, who wrote, "And four churches together with only one steeple, Is an emblem quite apt for the thrift of the people." The churches were destroyed by fire in 1841 but were later rebuilt.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.