City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1387

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1387

St Mary's Tower dates back to the 1480s. More usually known as the Old Steeple, it was renovated in the 1870s by architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. There was a proposal at the time to put a crown on the top of the tower as it was believed the tower may originally have had one.

In the event the crown was not built. The Old Steeple was refurbished again in the late 1990s and has recently been reopened to the public. The guided tours are proving to be a great success with locals and tourists alike.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.