City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1384

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1384

Dundee's St Mary's Tower is more popularly known by Dundonians as the Old Steeple. Completed in the 1480s the Old Steeple has witnessed, and participated in, much of Dundee's turbulent history.

It was captured by the English in 1547, endured the turmoil of the Reformation, and was used by the defenders of Dundee in the unsuccessful siege against General Monk in 1651. More recently the Old Steeple survived the fire of 1841 which destroyed the adjacent City Churches. The churches were rebuilt in the 1840s.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.