City Churches, Dundee

ref: wc1375

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1375

The Old Steeple, otherwise known as the Tower of St Mary's, and the City Churches are seen in this photograph on a winter's day. The Old Steeple dates back to the 15th century, a fine example of a Gothic style tower. The steeple and churches have had an interesting, turbulent history.

In 1841 the Churches were destroyed in a devastating fire. Fortunately, the Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt. More recently the Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s and has been reopened to the public.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.