City Churches, Dundee
City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1374
From the apparently rural aspect of this photograph it is almost hard to believe the City Churches are in the centre of Dundee. The origins of a church on this site in the city date back to the 12th century. The present churches, however, are of more recent construction.
After a turbulent history a devastating fire in 1841 resulted in the loss and rebuilding of the Churches. Fortunately the adjacent Old Steeple survived. Today the Old Steeple and City Churches are surrounded by a modern recently refurbished shopping complex, the Overgate Centre.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.