City Churches, Dundee
City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1373
This view of the City Churches in Dundee is taken from the north east, from a location which nowadays is the Overgate Shopping Centre. The small building to the north side (a vestry, added some time after 1890) is no longer extant.
The Steeple Church, the South Church and the East Church made up the complex, which was broadly rebuilt after the fire of 1841. The East Church, is now (2001) known as Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's).
The East Window of the church was gifted by Hugh Ballingal and William B. Robertson in 1897. Designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, it was executed by William Morris. The steeple was restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott, though his crown was not implemented.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.