City Churches, Dundee
City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1371
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of the City Churches in Dundee. The complex consists of four churches on the city's Nethergate, and was dominated by the Old Steeple, which dates from the 15th century.
There were four churches in the original complex, which was surrounded by a wall. After a fire in 1841, the buildings were restored, but with only two functioning churches.
The small building sitting perpendicular to the nave of the church is no longer extant, and no documentation has been found as to its purpose.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.