D. M. Brown, Dundee
D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1129
David Millar Brown set up business at number 80 High Street in 1888. His first shop had one window which he filled with a colourful selection of goods. He started his business with 3 people and eventually employed over 400.
By 1908 D.M.Browns stretched from the original shop, down the High Street and round to Commercial Street. David Millar Brown served his apprenticeship with various drapers in Lochee and Dundee.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.