Greenmarket, Dundee

ref: wc1103

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1103


The Greenmarket was an open space to the north of Dundee Harbour and to the south of the High Street, which was reached via Crichton Street at the righthand side of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, a jute factory manager.

The building to the right of centre was the old Customs House, known locally as Drummond Castle, and sometimes Pierson's Mansion. It was occupied to the years before demolition by the china warehouse belonging to James McLean.

At the left hand side of the photograph is Long Range Shooting Saloon, which is not listed in any edition of the Dundee Directory, which appeared annually. There were several such establishments in the city, so it must have been the publisher's policy not to include them.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.