Greenmarket, Dundee

ref: wc1091

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1091


The north-eastern corner of Dundee's Greenmarket is shown in this Alexander Wilson photograph, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the left, and Castle Lane leading eastwards to the Vault in the centre.

James F. Croal's grocery was at the corner of the two streets. He specialised in imported tea. Forbes Watson's Criterion restaurant was next door, listed at Nos. 6 and 6a. Another public house (name unknown) was run by Mrs D. Lowden at No. 8.

George Willsher's public house was No. 12, with the potato merchant Robert Kidd at No. 14, beneath James Davidson's Temperance Hotel, and James Cant, the bookseller, was No. 26. The cooper and joiner at No. 18 was Alexander Thomson.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.