Greenmarket, Dundee

ref: wc1090

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1090

This photograph by Alexander Wilson matches entries in the Dundee Directory for 1888-89. It shows the north-eastern section of Greenmarket with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the lefthand side.

The two shooting galleries are not listed (as seems to have been the publisher's policy). McIntosh & Co., the china merchants were No. 32, Mrs A McLean's grain store No. 34, and Mrs E. Cunningham, the outfitter, No. 36.

The hairdresser at No. 30 was James Currie, James Cant's bookshop was No. 26, John Holliwell the ironmonger at No. 24, and James Davidson's Temperance Hotel at No. 16,. George Willsher's public house stood at the Castle Lane corner.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.