Albert Institute, Dundee
Albert Institute, Dundee - Ref: WC0992
This photograph by Alexander Wilson focuses on what is today known as McManus Galleries in Dundee. Originally conceived as a Memorial to Prince Albert (consort of Queen Victoria), it was built in 1865-7 to desgins by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Dundee was bankrupt at the time, so the project had to be financed privately, largely by the Baxter family (who later donated the vast expanse known as Baxter Park to the city).
It was twice extended, first according to Scott's plans by David Mackenzie (1873) and then by the city architect, William Alexander. To the left of this photograph is the fountain, which was damaged during a gale and demolished thereafter.
For more information regarding The McManus please visit the website
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.