Earl Grey Dock, Dundee

ref: wc0980

Earl Grey Dock, Dundee - Ref: WC0980

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows Dundee's Earl Grey Dock, the smallest of four such constructions in the city's harbour. At the right hand side is the Victoria Arch, built in 1848 to celebrate the Queen's visit in 1844.

The church spire at the centre is St Paul's Cathedral, on Castle Hill, at the junction of Commercial Street and High Street. The spire to the left is the Town House, which was built in High Street in 1732, and was demolished 200 years later.

The vessel to the left is a fishing boat, while that to the right is the "Fifeshire", one of the ferries which ran across the Tay from Dundee to Newport. An iron paddle steamer, she was built by R. Napier and Sons, Glasgow, in 1858.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.