Craig Pier, Dundee

ref: wc0978

Craig Pier, Dundee - Ref: WC0978

Craig Pier formed one of the walls of the ferry harbour at Dundee Harbour. In November 1873, Tay Ferries were bought by the Dundee Harbour Trust for £20,000 and they proceeded to build new offices, etc., from 1878 until 1884.

Craig House on Craig Pier was for the superintendent of ferries can be seen to the left of the stranded yacht in the centre of this Alexander Wilson photograph, which looks westwards to the left. John Methven was superintendent in 1895.

The large warehouse at the right was in Craig Street. The photograph was clearly taken at low tide. The area was land-filled as part of the Tay Road Bridge scheme.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.