Dundee Harbour and Docks
Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0961
This photograph by the Dundee-based amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 at the pier between Earl Grey and King William IV docks in the city's harbour.
Behind it are buildings in Dock Street, which included offices of shipping companies and those involved in the importation of such things as margarine from Holland and wine from Spain. The Crown Hotel (listed as Greenmarket) is also visible.
The (unidentifiable) ship at the left hand side of the photograph is berthed beside No. 4 Shed. The two-masted vessel to the right is also unidentified.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.