Dundee Harbour and Docks
Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0960
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the north side of the King William IV Dock in Dundee, opened on 24th November 1825 with crowds of around 20, 000 people.
The spire in the background is Sir George Gilbert Scott's St Paul's Cathedral, which stands on Castle Hill, halfway up Commercial Street at the junction with Seagate and High Street.
The vessels in the dock show most of the types of ships that visited Dundee: the paddle steamers that ran as pleasure boats or commuter transport, the small fishing boats, the larger whaling boat and (to the left) a large jute carrier.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.