Riga in Dundee Harbour
"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0898
The "Riga" in this photograph by Alexander Wilson (there were several vessels of that name in Lloyd's Register, but none seems to match) was a wooden two masted schooner, registered in the Norwegian port of Stavanger.
She is pictured in the north west corner of Dundee's King William IV Dock, near the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 to celebrate the visit in 1844 of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
The street to the right of the "Riga" is Castle Street, leading north from Dock Street to High Street, with the spire of St Paul's Cathedral in the background and the City Assembly Rooms at the south end.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.