Ships in Dundee Harbour
The original caption reads 'Queen of the Dart and Fairweather', which are the names of the two ships at the centre of this Alexander Wilson photograph. The "Fairweather" was a wooden steam paddle tug, with a registered tonnage of 14.
The "Queen of the Dart" was a wooden top-sail schooner, built in 1848 at Dartmouth. She was restored in 1866 and underwent significant repairs in 1875. Although registered in Aberdeen, she was owned by W. Galloway of Dundee for some time.
She had a gross tonnage of 139 and measured 85.5 feet in length. This photograph, which dates from before 1888, when the "Fairweather" was sold to an Aberdeen company, shows the "Queen of the Dart" moored to a buoy in the Tidal Basin in Dundee.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.