Queen of England in Dundee Harbour
"Queen of England" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0894
The three masted, full rigged, iron ship, "Queen of England" was built in 1885 by the Liverpool company, T Royden, for D Kennedy and Co., also of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2071 and measured 276 feet in length.
According to Lloyd's Register for 1893-94, "Queen of England" underwent a survey in Dundee. This photograph shows the vessel berthed on the north side of Victoria Dock.
The "Queen of England" is known only to have made one visit to Dundee and Alexander Wilson, the manager of a jute calender (processing plant) took this photograph eight days after she arrived after a voyage from Calcutta which lasted 107 days.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.