Puri in Dundee Docks
"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0892
Built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, the "Puri" was launched on 19th October 1895 by Miss Bell of Dunfermline (Yard No. 165). She had a gross tonnage of 936.
She was intended as a pilgrim carrier between Calcutta and Chandballi, but was rapidly outmoded by the development of rail travel. She was finally scrapped in July 1910, and removed from registers in 1914.
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the stern of the "Puri" and the massive twin screws which drove her through the water and the fact that the rudder has not yet been fixed.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.