Princess of Wales in Dundee Harbour
"Princess of Wales" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0891
The "Princess of Wales" was built in 1866 by the Glasgow company, Aitken and Mansel of Whiteinch. Initially registered in Alloa, she is first listed as an iron paddle steamer, part of the Dundee fleet, in 1886.
Alexander Wilson, the manager of a Dundee jute calender (finishing plant) and only amateur photographer, took this picture at Dundee Harbour's Earl Grey Dock. The Royal Arch can bee seen behind No. 3 storage shed, as well as various sets of rigging.
In 1891, a Captain Todd was in charge of the vessel when she undertook pleasure trips on the Tay between Dundee, Newburgh and Perth. Children under 12 travelled free, while adults paid 9d and 1s return (4p and 5p respectively).
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.