Princess Alice in Dundee Harbour
"Princess Alice" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0888
The "Princess Alice" was a single screw iron steamship, built in 1866 by Todd and McGregor, of Glasgow, for M Langlands and Sons of Liverpool and Glasgow, which maintained a regular service between the east and west coasts.
The stay sails are furled on each mast in this Alexander Wilson photograph. There are planks hoisted beside each of the masts, too, which were used as portable gangways when the vessel was at sea.
At least one visit to Dundee by the "Princess Alice" is recorded in the Courier and Argus. She arrived on 5th January 1888 with a cargo of 353 tons of goods from Liverpool.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.