Pladda in Dundee Harbour
"Pladda" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0887
The "Pladda" was an iron single screw steamship, built by Blackwood and Gordon, of Port Glasgow, in 1861 for the Dundee and Newcastle Steamship Co. She had a gross tonnage of 429 and measured 181.5 feet in length.
This photograph of the "Pladda", taken by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the vessel berthed in the Earl Grey Dock at Dundee Harbour, with the "Unicorn", supposedly still (in the year 2010) the oldest fighting ship still afloat.
The "Pladda" was involved in coastal trade, bringing goods to Dundee from Newcastle and vice versa. The Dundee Courier and Argus reports one visit on 2nd January 1888 under the command of one Latto. She was wrecked in 1891 off Crail in Fife.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.