Peter der Grosse in Dundee Harbour
"Peter der Grosse" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0886
"Peter der Grosse" was an iron screw steamer, built at Kiel in 1872 for the Russian St Peterburger Dampfschifffahrtgesellschaft. She had a gross tonnage of 846 and measured 199 feet in length.
This photograph by the Dundee-based Alexander Wilson shows the "Peter der Grosse" in the Earl Grey Dock, alongside the twenty ton steam crane, which was possibly used to discharge the cargo of flax brought from Reval on two occasions in 1891.
According to Lloyd's Register, the "Peter der Grosse" sank after a collision in 1893.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.