Perth in Dundee Harbour
"Perth" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0885
The "Perth" shown in this Alexander Wilson photograph is the fourth of several ships thus named by the Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Company. Built by W B Thompson and Co., of Dundee, in 1890, she had a gross tonnage of 1729 and was 280 feet long.
She was renamed "Arbroath" in 1917, saw service in the Mediterranean during the 1st World War, was transferred to serve between Southampton and Le Havre, and finally sold to the British and South American Steam Navigation Co. in 1920.
She was then renamed "Hellopes" before being sold again, this time to a Turkish company, who renamed here "Konya". She was laid up in Istanbul in 1955 and reported as broken up in 1959.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.