Nile, Tickhurst and Pengwern in Dundee Harbour
"Nile", "Tickhurst" and "Pengwern" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0884
The "Nile" was an iron four masted barque, built by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow, for W Douglas of Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 2163 and was 283.5 feet long. Like the other vessels in this Alexander Wilson photograph, she was a jute carrier.
The "Pengwern" was an iron three masted ship, with a gross tonnage of 1648 and 256.1 feet in length, built in 1882 by Russell and Co., of Greenock, for D W Davies and Co., of Liverpool.
The "Tilkhurst" (the original caption is mistaken) was an iron three masted full rigged ship, built by A McMillan and Sons, of Dumbarton, in 1877 for W R Price. She had a gross tonnage of 1570 and was 239.1 feet in length.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.