Niger in Dundee Harbour

in
ref: wc0870

"Niger" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0870

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows "H M S Niger" in Dundee Harbour in August 1897. According to the Dundee Courier and Argus, she left port in on 26th August.

Jane's Fighting Ships (1903 Edition) lists "H M S Niger" as an Alarm Class torpedo gunboat, built in 1892, with a gross tonnage of 810 and measured 230 feet in length. Her standard crew numbered 85.

She was equipped with two 4.7 inch guns (each weighting two tons) and had three 18 inch torpedo tubes. She had an average sailing speed of 180-19 knots. The other vessel in Camperdown Dock has so far not be identified.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.