Middlesex in Dundee Harbour

in
ref: wc0869

"Middlesex" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0869

The "Middlesex" was built for G. Marshall and Sons of London in 1884 by Barclay, Curle and Co., Glasgow. An iron three-masted full-rigged ship, she had a gross tonnage of 1824 and measured 268.4 feet in length.

The "Middlesex" is known to have visited Dundee at least six times. Every year from 1886 until 1891, she brought 1742 tons of raw jute from Chittagong. She is seen in this photograph by Alexander Wilson in the Victoria Dock, most likely before unloading.

The damage incurred during a long sea voyage can clearly be seen on the ship's hull. The longest time taken by the "Middlesex" for a crossing was 140 days (in 1886), while the fastest time was only 96 days.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.