Middlesex in Dundee Harbour

in
ref: wc0868

"Middlesex" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0868

An iron full-rigged three-masted ship, the "Middlesex" was built in Glasgow by Barclay, Curle and Co., in 1884 for G. Marshall and Sons of London. She had a gross tonnage of 1824 and measured 268.4 feet in length.

The "Middlesex" made annual visits to Dundee from 1886 until 1891. She brought 1742 tons of raw jute from Chittagong some time in March (or once in February) after an average of 120 days at sea (the quickest voyage was 96 days, the longest 140).

Dundee's economy was heavily dependant on the jute industry. The city was an ideal location on account of its other main employer being whaling. The oil obtained was an essential component in the pre-processing treatment of the raw jute.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.