Loch Garry in Dundee Harbour

in
ref: wc0854

"Loch Garry" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0854

The "Loch Garry" was an iron screw steamer, built by Gourlay Bros., of Dundee, for the Dundee Loch Line Steamship Co., Ltd., in 1880. She had a gross tonnage of 950 and was 210.3 feet in length.

The "Loch Garry" was a frequent visitor to the Baltic Sea, bringing flax from Riga and Libau for treatment and processing in Dundee factories. Visits to Riga are recorded in 1888, 1891 and 1896.

In 1898, the Dundee Courier and Argus records the "Loch Garry" taking a floating dock to Galatz in Roumania, as part of a government contract. The newspaper reports on its being put in place and successful 'christening'.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.