Lass o' Gowrie in Dundee Harbour
"Las o' Gowrie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0852
The "Lass o' Gowrie" was an iron paddle steamer with a gross tonnage of 128 and measuring 106 feet in length. She was built for David Edwards of Dundee by the South Shields company, J T Eltringham in 1883.
She sailed a pleasure route from Dundee to Perth via newburgh (on the south bank of the River Tay) with occasional detours via Broughty Ferry and sometimes with extra stops.
This photograph by Alexander Wilson, the manager of a Dundee jute calender (finishing factory), shows the "Lass o' Gowrie" berthed inside the western arm of the Tidal Basin in Dundee Harbour.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.