Lass o' Gowrie at Perth
"Lass o' Gowrie" at Perth - Ref: WC0850
The "Lass o' Gowrie" was an iron paddle steamer, built at South Shields in 1883 by J T Eltringham for the Dundee sea captain, David Edwards. This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the vessel probably in Perth with the railway bridge to the left.
Sailings of the "Lass o' Gowrie" were regularly listed in the local press, including the Piper O' Dundee. She ran regularly between Dundee, Newburgh and Perth, with occasional extra stops, including Broughty Ferry.
She is last listed in the Dundee Register on 9th November 1889, when she was sold to Cosens and Co., Ltd., of Weymouth. Trips generally left Dundee late morning or around noon, departing from Perth between 2pm and 6pm.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.